Monday, July 12, 2010

Gloria Lynne - Gloria Lynne - 197x Up Front 146

Four love songs + four makin' love songs & one fun to do bad things song = nine sultry slices of soul

1. How Did You Make Me Love You
2. Can You Take What I'm Gonna Do
3. If You Don't Get It Yourself
4. I've Just Gotta Tell Somebody
5. Love Finally Found Me
6. Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong
7. Don't Tell Me How to Love You
8. I'm So in Love
9. I'll Take You All the Way There

Another day has come and gone in a world where I don't belong.
Another week has passed me by. It's not because I didn't try.
Nobody saw me walking and nobody heard me talking.
Seems like I gotta do wrong, gotta do wrong, gotta do wrong before they notice me.
Another job that I can't get. Nice apartment that the landlord won't rent.
I go to bed but sleep won't come. My belly's empty and my brain is numb.
Nobody saw me walking. Nobody heard me talking.
Seems like I gotta do wrong, gotta do wrong, gotta do wrong before they notice me.
The Whispers

He ended up on the block with kid scooters and ice cream but ended out of foster homes until he was 19.
Stealing for food he didn't do for enjoyment at the time a lay off, shut down & unemployment.
He moved into a new world & seeked his fortune & suited himself to the times with extortions.
A hustle that was ruled by men and murder; he earned enough for his daily bread & wanted to move further.
He knew no good could come from such a sin, had issues as a kid, so he held it all but did.
And he pursued the game so hotly, on a path of destruction even though the road was rocky.
Very caught up in his own drive for dominance & to know that he would pay in the end was common sense.
Some say he had long deserved death & many felt relieved when they were told he left.
Path of Destruction - GZA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this looks like some reissue of her 1970 Canyon LP, Happy And In Love: http://www.discogs.com/Gloria-Lynne-Happy-And-In-Love/release/1390449
This was also reissued on CD as Swamp Dogg Presents: The Boss Ladies of Soul: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?detail=mediaPanel&sku=722247196529&id=57692328#disc1
Cheers,
dcat...